This post seeks to teach you how to Prepare Shito. Shito is undoubtedly one of the popular sauces in Ghana especially for students. It’s also normally referred to as student’s companions in school because most students can go to school without them.
Find below the steps on how to prepare shito for school or at home.
Enjoy your prepared shito with the food of choice.
Recipe by FARMART GHANA
- 15 large onions
- 1 cup dried Herrings(smoothly crushed)
- 1 cup dried herrings roughly crushed
- 1 cup dried powdered shrimp
- 15 large fresh pepper
- 3 table spoons dried pepper powder
- 4 table spoons of tomato puree/paste
- Garlic, ginger, nutmeg, powdered cloves, food seasonings of choice
- Vegetable cooking oil
- 1. Peel off the onions, ginger and garlic
- 2. Wash well and chop into big chunks
- 3. Put the onion chunks into a big pot of cooking oil
- 4. Add the ginger, garlic and pepper till nice and tender or for about 15-20 min
- 5. Take the vegetables from the oil and allow to cool a little bit
- 6. Put the oil back on the hub and add the tomato puree till it separated.
- 7. Blend the vegetables in the blender/processor
- 8. Add to the tomato puree
- 9. Keep stirring and allow to cook for about 10 -15 min, till there are some foams on the top of the sauce.
- 10. Add the dried ingredients, thus the powdered shrimps and herrings.
- 11. Add the seasoning
- 12. Add the dried powdered pepper
- 13. Allow to simmer on a low heat till the colour is dark brown.
- 14. Add the other preferred spices, eg nutmeg, cloves etc.
- 15. check for salt and add if needed
- 16. Allow to cool very well and put in a dry clean bottle and store for about 2-3 months with the oil on top of the sauce, however, keep refrigerated once it starts being consumed.