It is a very popular feature in the daily lives of Ghanaians. There’s always a kelewele vendor somewhere close-by especially during the later hours of the day.
To locate a vendor, just take a walk along the street in the evenings and the aroma is going to alert you that a vendor is nearby.
Kelewele (Spicy fried plantain)Print Recipe
- Ripe plantain
- Grated ginger
- Salt and spices
- Vegetable oil
- Wash pepper, grated ginger and onion
- Grind all vegetables, add salt, spices and mix in a bowl.
- Peel the plantain and slice in cubes form, wash and add to the mixture.
- Pour oil in deep skillet, heat oil. Fry plantains until golden brown on both sides.
- Drain on absorbent paper, keep in warmed oven until all the plantains are fried.
- Serve kelewele with rice or waakye